- Internet / intranet browsing
- SMS / MMS
- Instant messaging with BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)
- Music / video / games
- Applications (business and personal)
- and more
Which means you can:
- Chat or send data via BlackBerry Messenger (BBM)*
- Compose, read and reply to emails
- Check the location of a meeting or social gathering
- Download and review attachments
- Hold a teleconference
- Receive the latest sales figures
- Increase your online bid
- Watch movies or listen to music
- Play games
- Call or text home to say you'll be late for dinner
All from virtually anywhere
Unlimited BlackBerry offering:
Only BlackBerry offers a fixed monthly data rate of R2* per day for:
- Unlimited email for up to 10 accounts, including attachment viewing
- Unlimited on-device browsing via the BlackBerry Internet Browser
- Unlimited real-time, instant messaging with BBM
- Unlimited social networking including uploading of pictures to Facebook, Twitter and more
Anytime, anywhere 24/7!
* Including VAT. Terms and conditions apply - When using a BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem, for media streaming, for using applications or for downloading content, billing will be in accordance with the applicable rate charge. International data roaming is not included, however, due to the unique compression of BlackBerry data, this is a very cost effective way to roam.
A BlackBerry solution is many things: a mobile office in your pocket, the ability to be contactable virtually anywhere you go and a great way to stay in control of life and get things done on the move.
BlackBerry smartphones give you email, instant messaging, phone, maps, organiser, applications, games, the Internet and more. Some smartphones also include a media player and/or camera so you really have everything you need in one stylish device.
BlackBerry products were invented with a single purpose in mind - to serve the needs of ambitious people who want to get on in life. No matter what your individual needs, a BlackBerry solution is a tool that will enable you to accomplish more by keeping you in touch with information, colleagues and friends. BlackBerry, simply, makes people's lives easier. BlackBerry users know exactly where they're going in life.
With the BlackBerry smartphone you can choose from a variety of applications that will transform the way you work, live and play.
Applications for the Consumer may include:
- BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and instant messaging
- News, communications and social networking
- Music, media, games and entertainment
- GPS, presence and location based services such as maps
- Finance and payments
- Travel and personal productivity
- Health and fitness
- Add-on accessories
Applications for businesses may include:
- Customer relationship management
- Field services and sales force automation
- Business intelligence
- Finance and cash management
- Enterprise and office mobility
What is BIS and BES?
There are two ways that you can access your e-mail through your BlackBerry device: either using BIS and BES. So what does this mean?
BIS (or BlackBerry Internet Service) - usually used for personal e-mail
- For the BlackBerry smartphone (8520 and 9300)
- Gives access to personal e-mail, internet, Wi-Fi, instant messaging and social networking sites i.e. Facebook, Twitter, MixIt, MySpace, etc.
- Like an ISP for your smartphone instead of your home computer
- The BlackBerry receives all email or web access via BIS (unless BES is used)
BES (or BlackBerry Enterprise Server) plus - usually used for corporate e-mail
- For the BlackBerry smartphone (8520 and 9300) devices for the company's employees with active voice plans
- Provides a BlackBerry access to a corporate intranet (the intranet is the private, internal network within a company - like a mini-internet cut off from the rest of the world)
- An intranet may allow you access to the internet as well BUT with added security layers
- BlackBerry subscription (BES+) for each smartphone device required
BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 software or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express software required
- Both BIS and BES allow your BlackBerry to get email, retrieve web pages, use third-party applications
- All traffic from your phone goes to the BIS/BES server - then the BIS/BES server communicates with the world on your behalf
The difference between BIS and BES
The difference, ultimately, lies in where the server resides and the level of control and security you get.
In the case of BIS:
- Your carrier operates the server.
- Everything from BIS to your handheld is encrypted - this is the extent of the security features.
- Data from your phone to your carrier is encrypted - your carrier communicates with the Internet - not a very secure environment.
- Everything operates on a public network.
- BIS is more secure than accessing the Internet from home using an ISP and MUCH more secure than using WiFi or BlueTooth.
In the case of BES:
- Your company operates the server.
- Usually has the BES server located somewhere in the corporate network.
- Your IT department controls all aspects of the BES server and it is likely to be in a secure location.
- Most of your data remains in a private, closed network.
- Since the BES server is located in the office somewhere, your BlackBerry has a secure link directly to the corporate environment.
- Interception or monitoring of your data is only possible by means of infiltrating the organisation.
- It acts like a VPN, ensuring all data between office and BlackBerry is encrypted.
- BES provides tools to publish applications and defines how these applications can interact with your phone and the network.
- Allows you to remotely wipe and lock a device - useful in case of theft.
- Send and receive e-mails.
- Apply different colours, assign due dates, set reminders etc., to manage your important email messages.
- Add, remove or rename folders to help simplify your email management.
- Schedule appointments.
- Forward a calendar entry from the email message list or directly from the calendar and ensure the right people are there.
- Open attachments from calendar entries in formats like JPEG, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Find, open, view, edit, save, or email your JPEG, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint files directly from your BlackBerry smartphone.
- Wirelessly sync your contact list with your multiple contact folders and personal distribution lists on your desktop, so you can be sure that your contacts are in sync.
- Get many of the same great Gmail features e.g. search, labels and stars, archive, conversation view, and report as spam on your BlackBerry smartphone.
SMS Text Messaging
- Enjoy a chat-like look and feel, emoticons, display pictures and the ability to send an SMS text message with the press of the Enter key.
Time Zone Detection
- Receive automatic prompts as you travel across a country, with the option to choose a different time zone, making it easy to stay on schedule wherever life takes you.
- Enjoy a more interactive experience with colourful web pages and rich animations. The BlackBerry Browser is FREE. The BlackBerry Internet is charged at data rates. Visit the data plans for more information on data rates.
- Access maps, zoom in for a closer look, and plan your route faster than you could before. You can also place your cursor over an unlabeled street to make the name pop up.
- Displays in an email or on a web page to view the location with BlackBerry Maps.
- View points of interest like hotels, restaurants, and shopping centres, get directions from one to the other, and see ratings and reviews all on BlackBerry Maps.
- Find your current location, search for an address from your contact list, or get directions to the company party from your pre-stored "work" or "home" location, all in one place.
- View pictures you've taken while on the go - your geotagged photos appear as a layer on your map so you can view them as thumbnail images in BlackBerry Maps.
Setting up your smartphone
8ta BlackBerry smartphone users can set up their BlackBerry smartphones to suit their needs. You can setup your email service, wireless network connection, date and time, etc. as per your smartphone needs.
Prepaid BlackBerry Offers
|Service Type||Prepaid BIS||Prepaid BES+|
|Tariff||R59 per month||R89 per month|
|Subscription period||Month to month. Automatically renews. Your subscription will be deducted from your airtime on the same day each month.||Month to month. Automatically renews. Your subscription will be deducted from your airtime on the same day each month.|
|Where do I get Prepaid BlackBerry||
1. USSD Dial: *180#, then option1: buy bundles, then option 2, prepaid BlackBerry.
2. Stores/Dealer – click here for your nearest store/dealer
1. USSD Dial: *180#
2. Stores/Dealer – click here for your nearest store/dealer
BlackBerry Contract and Saver
|Service Type||BlackBerry 8520 Gr8 Deal on Contract 1||Any New Contract or Saver with BIS||New Contract or Saver with BES+||Bolt-on BIS to existing Contract or||Bolt-on BES+ to existing Contract or|
|Tariff||R90 for the first 3 months, then R139 x 21 months.||R59 per month for BIS subscription in addition to the normal plan’s tariff||R89 per month for BES+ subscription in addition to the normal plan’s tariff||Add R59 per month for BIS subscription||Add R89 per month for BES+ subscription|
|Description||The first 3 months of BIS subscription are free. The customer only pays for Contract 1 during this time. Thereafter, the customer will pay for Contract 1 (R90) + BIS (R49).||Any NEW Contract 2,3,3s,4 or Saver 1,2,3,4 can have BIS added to it for R59 per month x 24 months.||Any NEW Contract 2,3,3s,4 or Saver 1,2,3,4 can have BES + added to it for R89 per month x 24 months.||Only if the customer already has an existing 8ta Contract or Saver and wishes to add BIS as a bolt-on subscription.||Only if the customer already has an existing 8ta Contract or Saver and wishes to add BES+ as a bolt-on subscription.|
|BlackBerry Smartphones applicable||Only the Curve 8520 Device can be ordered free with this Hero Deal. No other devices will qualify for the free BIS for 3 months or the reduced R49 BIS subscription.||Available on BlackBerry® Curve™ 3G 9300 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520. BlackBerry® Torch™9800, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9780, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 9360.||Available on BlackBerry® Curve™ 3G 9300 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520. BlackBerry® Torch™9800, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9780, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 9360.||Bring your own BlackBerry smartphone.||Bring your own BlackBerry smartphone.|
The BlackBerry solution is built with protective measures to ensure that users can securely access sensitive information on their BlackBerry smartphones.
The 8ta BlackBerry smartphone users are provided with network security for all their data.
Click here for more information on security.
What is BlackBerry?
BlackBerry is a wireless solution which enables you to send and receive e-mails, access the internet, social networking sites i.e. instant messaging, Twitter, Facebook, MixIt, Myspace, etc. and other applications on the go.
Why should I use it?
BlackBerry offers you access to your messaging services irrespective of where you are. Whether working from the office, relaxing at home or walking/travelling to a party or your next meeting, it offers you a comprehensive messaging solution.
How much does it cost?
8ta offers you BlackBerry packages that are customised according to your needs. Click here for BlackBerry smartphone packages
Where do I get it?
BlackBerry smartphones are available at participating stores only. Scroll down on the Get it page for a list of stores which stock phones.
What is BIS?
BIS is a BlackBerry Internet Service subscription aimed at consumers mainly. It gives you access to the following amazing features:
•Configure up to 10 different email accounts on your BlackBerry phone:
This could be your Gmail account, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, even your Telkom email address. Your new emails will be pushed automatically to your phone all day and you can reply or forward them or send new emails from your phone.
•Unlimited browsing of webpages on your BlackBerry phone:
Using the built-in BlackBerry browser on your phone, you can visit almost any webpage on the Internet at no extra charge. It does not use your data bundle or airtime on your phone. There are some slight limitations: any ‘streaming’ content like videos or internet radio or streaming audio files are not part of the free browsing. If you choose to view this streaming content, you will be charged normal data fees or use your data bundle or airtime. On most BlackBerry smartphones, a warning message appears to inform you that you may be charged if you continue.
•Unlimited instant messaging and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM):
Use the built-in BBM application to instant message and contact all your friends and family who also have BBM, for free. Send pictures, audio and other content to them. BlackBerry also has free clients for Google Talk, Yahoo messenger, ICQ, Windows live Messenger and other Instant Messaging services available. All for free and unlimited. You can even use MXIT on some BlackBerry smartphones if you download the MXIT application (although it may use your data and may not always be free).
•Download hundreds of free and paid Applications to enhance your phone:
Use the BlackBerry AppWorld to find and download hundreds of add on applications, games and tools to enhance your phone and your life. Many are free and some you have the option to purchase.
•Enjoy unlimited free Facebook and Twitter on your BlackBerry:
Two very popular Apps are Facebook and Twitter. You can use the built-in Apps to Facebook and Tweet as much as you like, all for free as part of your BIS subscription.
•Enjoy the integration of all these features into your contacts, address book, email and media:
BlackBerry will allow you to see your contacts and address book in many different apps on your phone, so you can always choose your preferred method of contacting someone. Integration is a component of the BlackBerry Internet Solution, which allows you to integrate your BlackBerry device with up to 10 supported personal email accounts, send and receive instant messages, and browse web content while on the go. You get "push" delivery of messages, mobile access to email attachments and images in popular formats, as well as convenient access to HTML and WAP pages.
What is BES?
BES is an acronym for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It is a wireless e-mail solution designed for businesses with Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino server environments. It includes both desktop and Enterprise Server software which work together to seamlessly manage the link between the handheld devices and corresponding email accounts.
What is BES+?
8ta’s offers you BES+ subscription, you get BIS and BES in one. That means you can access your company BES server, and also use all your personal email, internet browsing and instant messaging benefits on your BlackBerry. Your company determines which type of BlackBerry services can you have access to.
BES+ requires your company to have a BES server/software installed within their business environment.
What is the BlackBerry Browser?
The BlackBerry Browser provides you with unlimited access to all BlackBerry web pages and applications. All the BlackBerry certified web pages and applications accessed from this browser are FREE.
What is an Internet Browser?
The Internet Browser provides you with unlimited access to all web pages and applications including those excluded from the BlackBerry Browser. The Internet Browser is charged at a minimum data tariff.
How to setup and activate your new BlackBerry service on your new BlackBerry smartphone?
1. After waiting for the activation period (anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours depending on the system load and order queue), insert the SIM into the BlackBerry smartphone.
2. Switch on the smartphone and wait for the device to boot up (this may take several minutes)
3. Follow the device setup wizard which should automatically pop-up for new BlackBerry smartphones.
Configure a new BIS email address for the device. All BIS email addresses look like:
email@example.com. This is your free BlackBerry email address. You can add up to 10 additional email address (e.g. Gmail, yahoo etc.) using the Setup Wizard or do it later if your prefer.
The setup and activation information is provided by your BlackBerry enterprise service administrator. This will include your e-mail address and activation password.
4. Ensure that the SIM registers on the 8ta/MTN network and that there is signal next to the signal bar. If the device is stuck on “SOS” for a long time, then manually select the MTN network by going to: Options, Mobile Network, and then searching for available networks. Select MTN. (8ta roams on the MTN network). Set it back to Automatic.
5. If the setup wizard does not appear, you can manually open it by going to the Setup icon and selecting 'Setup Wizard'.
6. You should receive a welcome email once your BIS email address is setup and ready.
What is free YouTube streaming?
YouTube streaming is the ability to watch YouTube videos on your BlackBerry phone, for free!
What do I get as part of this free offer?
At 8ta, we offer you free YouTube streaming when you purchase a BlackBerry subscription (On Prepaid, Contract or Saver). You will receive up to 500MB of YouTube streaming free per month. The 500MB will be loaded as a free YouTube data bundle on your account.
How do I watch YouTube on my BlackBerry?
You can either use your BlackBerry browser and go to
What should I do to prevent going over 500MB?
If you use up your entire 500MB YouTube allowance and continue to watch videos, you may be charged out of bundle data rates or consume one of your other data bundles (if you have one). To prevent this, it is a good idea to check your data balances regularly by dialing *188# and checking the SMSes you receive. To ensure you get the latest balance information, close all browsers and YouTube videos, wait a minute or two and then check your balance. Also, do not tick the box under the warning message indicating that you may be charged for data. This will ensure that this message will be displayed if you are using any services that are not free as part of your BlackBerry services.
Why do I get a connection error and my YouTube video isn’t working anymore?
You have probably used up all 500MB and all data bundles on your account and were cut off to prevent going over your limit and using up your airtime or credit. Check your data balance. If the 500MB is used up, you can purchase a once off data bundle to continue.
YouTube is slow or videos don’t play properly or have poor frame rates?
You are probably using a 2G BlackBerry device with little to no EDGE coverage or the network is busy or the signal is poor. It could also be that the video you are watching is being served at a slow rate by YouTube’s servers. Try to move to a better signal area or try another video. You can also try again later as network conditions change.
For other YouTube questions not covered here please contact Customer Care at 180 or 081180.